“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark. In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach. The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.”
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Getting excited! I think I’ve found my ambition. I’ve got some new goals – or old ones refurbished.
Little goals …
1) I want bigger “tear drops” – larger vastus medialis musles . Actually, I want bigger “everything”, but I’m going to focus on those tear drops for a few weeks to get something growing there.
2) Before my 50th birthday in Feburary, I want to hit certain max weights for these lifts…
- Squat 225 pounds for 5 reps. Currently, I can do 205 pounds for 2 clean reps.
- Bench 135 pounds for 5 reps. Currently, I can do 115 pounds with a spotter for 2 reps.
- Deadlift 250 pounds for 5 reps. Currently, I can do 215 pounds for 2 clean reps.
3) Pass the NASM personal training exam this spring.
4) Figure out what my body needs to get bigger and leaner. I’m OK with my current weight, but not with body fat percentage. I’m going to try something that’s been rattling around in my head for some time. Lift in the mornings and do HIIT cardio every other afternoon. Abs and calves in the afternoons, too. I will keep my calories in a small surplus, 200-300 calories. My hope is that the small surplus will be enough to grow muscle and the cardio will burn fat. Maybe I will get another DEXA for my birthday to check my progress.
The BIG Goal (Still the same): COMPETE IN A BODYBUILDING CONTEST THIS SUMMER.
I have achieved every goal I’ve ever set for myself. When necessary, I step up and push through obstacles. This goal is no different, and I have no doubts about reaching it. But I do have some uncertainty about when. Muscle grows as fast as it grows. Losing weight was easier – and faster – when I had a lot to lose. Now? It’s tough to lose fat and keep my new muscle. I’m determined to go all out with the intention of being ready for a show in August. But I will not get on stage just because it’s August 2012. I don’t care if I look like it’s my first show. I don’t care if I’m not as big as I’d like to be. And I don’t care if I’m the only one in my Grand Masters division so I’d probably be guaranteed a trophy. I respect this lifestyle and the competitors. This isn’t a bikini diva contest I’m training for – bodybuilders pay their dues for YEARS, not months. If I’m not ready to represent respectfully, I will keep training and pick another show.
But right now… I’m looking at the Tahoe Show on August 25. NPC Physique. And someday, I want one of these…